[Healeys] Core plugs seaping on a 3000

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 10:05:18 MDT 2015

Simon--

I know you are trying to put off dealing with the issue till a better time
but FWIW I do not believe in "pourable" solutions to leaks, be they oil,
water or fuel.  If your core plugs are leaking they should be replaced with
either the same as original or, if you do not care about originality, more
modern versions.

I have never had a problem with leaking core plugs on my Healey but I have
on the MG engine of my Elva Courier.  Since it is a race car originality is
hardly a concern and I replaced the disc-type plugs with screw-in versions
made by Dorman and after carefully cleaning the contact area on the block I
apply a thin layer of JB Weld when mounting the inner disc.  Some guys go
so far as to put straps across the plugs.

In any case don't waste your time and money pouring crap into your
engine--find the problem and fix it.  Sometimes it really doesn't take that
much longer to do a permanent fix than to do and redo a temporary one.  Ask
me how I know...

Best--Michael Oritt