[Healeys] FW: Oil again

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Tue Jun 23 22:25:36 MDT 2015

Hi Bill. .012 is a long way out! Make sure you don't end up with pistons
coming up above deck height. If you already have a rear main seal
conversion, check firstly that the rear engine plate is flat, they are quite
thin on the 100. Also you will see when you get the rear plate gasket, the
gasket may have 2 extra holes across the bottom that appear to not be
needed. Some blocks had 2 extra holes across the bottom to hold the rear
engine plate. The addition of these extra holes and bolts can help seal the
engine plate and stop leaks that can appear to be rear main leaks but
aren't. Also when fitting the new head gasket it's worth using a little (
very little ) sealer on the gasket down the spark plug side as the water
galleries are very close to the edge of the head, so often you will get a
very slight water weep from the gasket.

Cheers

Larry Varley