[Healeys] BJ8 Door trim panels

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Jun 17 07:18:36 MDT 2015

The sheet metal screws that attach the door pull to the door have a tendency to pull out of the door over time with overzealous door slamming.  Once they pull out, the holes are enlarged.  It becomes difficult to find a screw of a large enough diameter to fit the enlarged hole that is not also long enough to scratch the glass.

Both of my window glasses had the two parallel scratches made by the door pull screws.  The driver's glass shattered into my lap one time when I pulled the door shut.  After installing new glass, my solution to prevent the scratches was to file the screw holes in the doors into a square shape, and then to Mig-weld a square nut into each hole.  This allows using a machine screw to attach the door pull, which is less likely to pull out and also has a flat end instead of pointed.  It's easy to find a machine screw to attach the door pull that is also short enough not to scratch the glass.  After 8 years, the door pulls have not pulled out and there are no scratches on the glass.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large