[Healeys] Driving 100

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Mon Jun 15 06:00:12 MDT 2015

Hi Bob, I would like to throw my hat in here, happy to be disagreed
with. Firstly I think wider than standard wheels on a Healey can be a
backward step. Fine they look good but what is the down side? The Barge
like steering feel on a six cylinder cars is increased  and less nimble
on a 100. Certainly with radial tyres zero to negative camber is an
advantage as the radials have less side wall flex than the old cross ply
tyres the cars were designed for. I would never go for zero toe in as i
think they need some toe in, 1/16 to 1/8. Healeys are generally a very
stable and predictable car at speed so if it isn't there is definitely
something wrong. Oh and to back up my claim about wide wheels, some
years ago Dennis Welsh came to Australia for the Healey challenge at out
Bathurst circuit, a very challenging track. He cleaned up the field
against some very talented drivers in competitive cars. And guess what,
he was running 4 1/2 inch rims with good tyres. So perhaps you must
consider how much weight you have in the car itself that loads the tyres
and produces grip, as the wider the tyre would have to be softer to
produce the same grip level between the tyre and the road. Wide wheels
look good....My 100 will stay 4 1/2 inch it's a great car to drive as it is.
Cheers
Larry Varley