[Healeys] Missing under Load

R. Price Lindsay 050.rpl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 16:54:32 MDT 2015

I’m sorry to come back to you with my issues but I’m out of ideas.

I believe it is a lack of fuel to the rear carb.  The miss/backfire is always from the rear carb and down stream in the exhaust pipe serving the rear cylinders.  I have used a Colortune to try and tune the carbs.  It works fine on the front carb but I can’t even get a yellow color or see anything in the viewer except when it backfires.  I haven’t found the fuel choke point.  I’ve taken the floats apart and found some crud and cleaned them out.  I’ve removed the jet from the rear carb and cleaned a very small amount of crud from it’s base.  I’ve set the float bowls at 5/16”  and the needles work fine.  Fuel flows freely from the front carb.  The only remaining point I can think of is the passage between the float chamber and the jet.  I intend to take the carbs off again tomorrow and clean/clean/clean.

Just so you know I have:

1. new points, condenser and rotor
2. new ignition cap, wires caps and plugs
3. drained the fuel tank and replaced with fresh fuel
4. tried a different coil - no help
5. set the timing
6. set the tappets
7. checked the needles - they are standard UH
8. verified the needles are seated properly and fall freely
9. removed fuel filter
10. changed fuel lines with new
11. did a compression test - 149, 142, 142, 138, 142, 139 psi front to back
12. there is no oil in the coolant

Thank you so much in advance for whatever light you can shed on this.

Price Lindsay
67 BJ8