[Healeys] Oil again

J. Armour sebring3000 at bigpond.com
Sat Jun 13 08:37:53 MDT 2015

I would assume that in addition to avoiding a valve physically hitting the
block they make additional space / clearance for efficient air flow into the
cylinder. Air velocity and volume along with tumble or swirl entry are what
cam design and port design are all about

From:  John Vrugtman <javrugtman at htcnet.org>

Michael,  You do know, politics and religion are like beauty, all in the eye
of the beholder.  Convincing a coal man that a piece of anthracite coal is
ugly is a waste of energy. :-)

How about a more Healey related discussion.  I have an engine at a machine
shop for fitting a DW8 cam, which requires valve pockets.  DW provided the
specs for them.  It requires holes of 1.82 inches in diameter for valves of
1.5 inches, a third of an inch extra.  My machinist asked why such a large
extra amount.  DW replied, their spokesman, that's the way we do it without
a rationale.  He also said Jeremy was out racing and could not be consulted
at the time.  Anybody on the list have a reason for the oversize relief
holes?

John