[Healeys] Engine Oil

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 06:01:29 MDT 2015

Rich--

Rotella T was, up till several years ago, very commonly used when breaking
in a new cam on flat-tappet cars engines.  It was also a great oil for use
in diesel engines and I regularly used it, along with Delo, in the
Caterpillar 3306-T that powered my old offshore trawler.

I don't remember whether Rotella T's API rating changed (maybe from CJ3 to
CJ4) or if the allowed zinc levels for that classification were altered,
but in any case along with the change came a reduction in the stuff we want
to see lubing our cams/tappets.

I'd suggest sticking to commonly-held recommendations and using a zinc
additive.

Best--Michael Oritt