[Healeys] oil weight

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jun 11 18:21:04 MDT 2015

Apparently you didn't read my earlier post.

I ran Chevron 20W-50 for over 25 years when it was available at Costco
for less than $2/qt--I changed my oil twice/year back then--but Costco
no longer carries it.  Now, I'm using Valvoline VR-1 20W-50
off-the-shelf from the local parts house.  It's almost $7/qt but now I
only change my oil once a year and put up to 5,000 miles a year on my
BJ8 so the expense isn't that much of a burden.  With 110,000 miles on
the last overhaul the car uses (mostly drips) about 1qt every 3,500
miles or so (that's mostly highway miles, it uses a little more around
town).  I have a spin-on oil filter adapter and run Wix# 51516 filters
which barely fit but have served me well for years (about $8 per); the
oil was clean and a medium amber color with no smell of 'burnt' when I
last changed it at about 6,500 miles (last year's trip got cut short and
I didn't bother changing it afterwards).  I am mildly fanatic about not
mixing brands but this year I threw a leftover quart of Chevron into the
Valvoline since I would be changing it soon.  As I mentioned, the timing
cover was spotless inside when I removed it a year ago.

As for gas, I buy name brands--Chevron if I can get it--and 91 R+M/2 or
better when I can get it, but since I'm sometimes a hundred miles from
even medium-sized towns I'll take what I can get in a pinch.  I just did
the Caliente to Tonopah, NV run which is 192 miles over several
passes--you use more fuel climbing a pass than you can save coasting
downhill--with no fuel whatsoever available (sometimes, you can get some
regular in Rachel but they were dry, much to the chagrin of some
off-roaders on their way to race in Caliente who said they'd 'pay
whatever' for a couple gallons).  I don't run with a fuel filter, only
the thimble strainers in the carbs, and the only problem I get is some
stumbling after a hot re-start, which I attribute to the ethanol in the
fuel boiling in the float bowls.  My aftermarket tank holds almost 14
gallons, filled to the top of the filler neck, and we made it to Tonopah
with almost a quarter tank.  With the stock 12gal tank I would have been
on fumes.

It's a matter of opinion, I suppose, but being alone on a desert road a
hundred miles--literally--from any town and with no cellphone service
is, IMO, putting my 'cock on the block.'  I've got 130,000 miles--plus
previous owners' 64K miles--on the car running whale shit for oil and
horse piss for gas; not bad for an old LBC, I'd say.  If you're that
proud of the oil and gas you can buy, well, so be it.  Just about any
modern oil is vastly superior to what was available when our Healeys
were built.  If spending extra for a 'custom' formulation gives you a
hard-on, fine, but as long as there's enough ZDDP either in the oil or
added (not a great idea, IMO) it's a non-issue.

Bob