[Healeys] oil weight

Albert Seminatore alsemus1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 14:08:53 MDT 2015

The following is a response from Castrol regarding the best oil to use for
classics.  For me this clarified a lot of what I heard but didn't know the
reasons.  Hope this helps others.

Classic cars with flat tappet cam engines represent a special case in
regards to engine oil lubrication. These engines have valve train
configurations that require elevated levels of ZDDP (zinc dialkyl
dithiophosphate) anti-wear for proper protection of the flat tappet
camshaft and its lifters. Insufficient concentration of ZDDP will lead to
premature wear and failure of the camshaft and lifters. Current GF-4 and
GF-5 fuel economy grade engine oils are designed for extended life of the
catalytic convertors in modern passenger cars and have industry mandated
limitations on the amount of sulfur and phosphorus within the oil.

Only Castrol EDGE 5W-50 has a boosted level of ZDDP (1250 ppm) to help
protect flat tappet cam engines in classic cars. This engine oil is a full
synthetic, has excellent cold temperature properties, and has a high
temperature viscosity (SAE 50) that is suitable for use in many classic car
applications.

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 oil is not recommended for use in a flat tappet cam
engine.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the engine
manufacturer for the recommended oil (i.e. SAE grade, API rating and
manufacturer specifications) specific to your application or please consult
your mechanic as to the suitability of the 5W-50 viscosity grade in your
engine.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

--
Albert Seminatore
Mountain Falls, Pahrump, NV