[Healeys] Missing under Load

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jun 4 10:43:27 MDT 2015

For another data point: I just finished a 3,106 mile trip in my BJ8. My friend's GPS worked perfectly--except for getting lost and issuing bad directions occasionally (thank goodness for our AAA maps)--the whole time running off a power outlet I installed under the dash (my car is still positive ground so I reverse-wired the socket). Our cellphones worked fine, too. I do have suppressor/resistor plug caps and plugs on the stranded-wire copper secondary leads.

Used to be able to monitor my fuel pump by tuning the BMC AM radio between stations and listening for the 'pulse,' but the electronic pumps don't emit enough signal.

There is a known issue with Lincoln LS coils that my parent's car experienced: a bum coil could cause a voltage spike on the primary circuit, causing the ECU to shut down and stop the engine. Goes to show electronics and electromagnetism are magic and as such not predictable.

Bob