[Healeys] Northern Hemisphere Lucas Demons

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Jun 4 01:38:59 MDT 2015

Most Lucas parts were of excellent quality. They rarely gave any
trouble. In those days cars did only last for about 5 years or
40.000miles. We are now 40-70 years on and most of the original stuff is
still working, quite impressive. That some fail now after all those
years because of wear cannot be attributed to lack of quality. Anyhow,
most probably it is because of lacking use and/or maintainance that they
fail. A drop of oil, cleaning and lubricating switches etc., most don't
bother, until it stops working and breaks. Contacts in switches will
corrode and if not used regularly they will built up resistance, than
heat and burn out. Just a small bit of contact spray now and than will
keep them in good nick. The big old Lucas relays are of excellent
quality, but the same applies here. Used regularly and there is rarely
any trouble. If not used regularly clean the contacts now and than using
a piece of thin hard cardboard.
Where the car manufacturers went wrong was the wiring, they were
skimping on that and the connectors and corrosion protection of those.
And the lack of fuses but that was a universal problem.
These days new "Lucas" parts have nothing to do with good old Joseph's
joint.
Kees Oudesluijs