[Healeys] Northern Hemisphere Lucas Demons

J. Armour sebring3000 at bigpond.com
Wed Jun 3 21:16:59 MDT 2015

Down ­Under in the land of OZ I purchased my first BN.4 in 1966 and drove it
every day. Sold it for a home deposit, purchased another BN.4 and drove it
every day.Then went crazy and purchased a car that had been hammered around
Sebring for 12 hours and not having learnt my lessonI purchased another
Healey that did three LeMans 24 hour and two Sebring 12 hour races all
fitted with Lucas stuff and they have never stopped. What is going on?
Maybe it is time to identify the reliable repair / retailer outlets ( and
there are many about from the input I see on the list ) and pay the price
they have learnt from experience to select the better product.
On another occasion I was tuning the BN.4 and it only had 4 spark plugs in
the head. I was lazy and turned the engine on the starter to check the valve
clearance and bless my soul the old Lucas and SU system started the engine
with two cylinders pumping air and unburnt fuel
When I purchased the second BN.4 it had been freshly serviced by the not so
well informed ex-owner working at a service station. Two weeks later the car
had been performing well but then would not start. It turned out the good
old Lucas system had fried the two stroke lawn mower spark plugs the before
mentioned service station attendant had fitted!

I even drove a the 3000 home 90 km with the rotor button held together with
a piece of electrial tape.  Good old reliable Joseph Lucas.

Joe