[Healeys] LED Turn Signals

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Jun 2 01:18:53 MDT 2015

When using LED lights the wiring should be in absolutely perfect
condition with zero resistance everywhere. Even if all Tungsten lights
work as they should beforehand, you could run into difficulties. LED
lights run on a very small current which means that they can also react
on stray currents (e.g. caused by some moisture somewhere or when there
is some small resistance/corrosion) when there is a somewhat less than
good earth somewhere in the system, meaning that some lights do not work
or work when they should not. I encountered this problem several times
and have changed the LED bulbs for the indicator and brake lights where
they are combined in one aperture for the old fashioned Tungsten bulbs.
These sap little power anyway as they are only on for a short time,
apart from the combined rear/indicator bulbs of some cars.
For this reason there are also bulbs and perhaps flashers that have a
built in parallel resistor to counterbalance the very weak power
consumption of LED's. Although this may work, this way it does not save
on power so the exercise is rather meaningless.

Kees Oudesluijs