[Healeys] Brakes issue

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 23:51:40 MDT 2015

Just received this, below, from Niels on behalf of that friend of mine,
Cecil, who is en route to Copenhagen. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Please reply to the list or to Niels direct. As it happens and typically, I
am off to Thailand for three weeks so, depending on connections, may be
pretty out of touch.

However, I wonder how much air is getting into the system. I know it doesn’t
take much.......If air gets in to the system, surely it’s replacing fluid?
ie, he may have a leak somewhere, albeit a small one.????

Maybe look at every inch of the system and hope to find a joint with a loose
connection....tighten it up and bleed the system.

Now, the car is a 100/6 with drums all round. Cecil inferred in an email
yesterday that he’d more or less had to keep his speeds up on the autobahns.
Maybe he’s worn the brakes a bit? I know NOTHING about the drums on the
front of a 100/6 except I’d imagine they’re not dissimilar to my Mk II’s
rear drums. How well do they self adjust? Could it be that he just needs to
adjust up his brakes all round??

I’ve cc’d Cecil, above so gurus can approach home direct.

I’m sure he’d be very grateful for any suggestions.

Simon

Cecil has contacted me, he has some problems, he writes:

“I'm in Hamburg at present and should be in Copenhagen later today.

I'm having trouble with my brakes. Not loosing any fluid but air is getting
into the system somehow. Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic and I could use
some help.”

If you on the list have any ideas please share them and I will try to help
Cecil.

Niels