[Healeys] #174 has a running problem

Michael michael.salter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:44:04 MDT 2015

Nope.😊

-----Original Message-----
From: "I Erbs" <eyera3 at gmail.com>
Sent: ‎16/‎07/‎2015 4:38 p.m.
To: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter at gmail.com>
Cc: "Ahealey help" <healeys at autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] #174 has a running problem

Loose ground? Or a vacuum problem?
Mr. Ira Erbs
On Jul 16, 2015 9:32 PM, "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter at gmail.com> wrote:

I have done the following;

STEPS TAKEN TO FIND RUNNING PROBLEM
This car has an original cap, original wires, original NA8 spark plugs, original black coil, original fuel pump. I am determined not to change any of these original parts unless I can confirm definitely that that item is the source of the problems…it a concours issue!!
After many short trips 10 – 15 miles etc... the engine started to run very badly after 35 odd miles of a longer test drive on a warm but not hot day after travelling over a few hundred meters of rough road under construction eventually stopping completely as I tried to climb a hill. Sounded to be running on 2 cylinders at times. Backfiring through exhaust… no throttle response.
Cranked but would not start..Appeared to have spark at the coil wire..
Affer cooling started out again…after 20 odd miles stopped with the same symptoms… pulling choke seemed to make no difference.
Could not hear fuel  pump ticking but had fuel pressure at the front carb……good spark at coil wire…spark at plugs looked thin …Changed the condenser and the rotor and it started reluctantly and ran well for about 15 miles then stopped again….same symptoms….changed rotor…ran for 2 miles same symptoms…
Found “3 cut” washers under the carb float chamber struts which I think could be sealing off the vent slots for the float chambers…
Next day, today, I headed out for another extended drive and the car ran perfectly on a similar day for 36 miles then repeated the problem after 36 miles and I just managed to nurse it home another 11 miles….it actually died as I approached our driveway and I coasted in with the ignition turned off.  Nothing would make it start.
Tested the coil 4.6 ohms with no short to ground. Took off the float chamber lids and both were full to the correct level. The engine cranked but would just not start..
After checking everything I could think of I believe that I have found the problem but I don’t have time to do another 36 mile test before loading the car to take to Enclave…
What do you think I found?

Michael..

--

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

Healeys at autox.team.net