[Healeys] List seems too quiet

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Thu Jul 2 21:08:40 MDT 2015

I remember being told that early on and seeing it in the manuals as well, it was explained to me something along the lines of what Bob said, but when you really think about it on most cars before dual circuit brake systems, you have one line coming from the M/C to a union, with three lines coming out of the union.  One for each front brake, and one going to the back, where it splits again.

You don't want air getting into a line you already bled.

So here is my theory, you do the farthest first so you get the main line from the M/C to the union clear (because you have to move more fluid through the longer line) and once that is clear the next step is expelling it from the lines out of the union to the other brakes.

Theory two: it may be faster, as non compressible fluid bleeds out more efficiently than compressible air.  So get as much air out as possible through the longest line first, and the rest will go more quickly/efficiently.

Theory three:  It doesn’t work better, it actually is less effective, and it is all lies spread by the big petro-chemical companies that make brake fluid to that they can sell more product.

Or maybe it is just because that is the way everybody says to do it.

Greg