[Healeys] Did iridescent colours originally have clear coat over them?

carroll phillips bjcap at optonline.net
Sat Jan 31 14:04:21 MST 2015

50s,60s Austin Healeys were painted in the enamel chemistry of the day (
synthetic enamel), Jags too. Synthetic enamels were not clear coated and
MG used it on their TD wings and lacquer on the bodies of certain
colors, about the same time as the Healey 100 , I am referring to both
metallics and solid colors

I would personally not use a lacquer base and urethane clear coat.

 I have used the next finest metallic from the bottom of the chart ,
sprayed a little heavy , the metallic flakes will sink in  and not
reflect light as much  appearing  as a fine metallic. You need a GOOD
gun for this , I use an Iwata LPH400 for clear and the Super Nova for
base 1.4 tip.

Best I can say is try it out on a test panel using different application
technics till you are satisfied. You have no choice as modern paints
simply do not look as the older ones did . EPA regulations took care of
that a while ago and again, with waterborne materials coming up fast the
restorer has to adapt.

Carroll Phillips
Top Down Restorations