[Healeys] Did iridescent colours originally have clear coat over them?

Jean Caron vintage_roadster_restoration at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 09:00:38 MST 2015

Andy: I worked briefly in a bodyshop in the early 1970's and at that time, in Canada at least, no one ever used clear coat, I don't think it existed then.
While the clear coat is there to make the paint look shinier it is also there to protect the paint from scratches, often you could have minor scratches and you can easily get them buffed without disturbing the base coat, you won't be able to do that without the clear coat. You cannot get lacquer in many places now at least in North America, in Canada most places spray waterborne paint. I wonder if the base paint on Austin-Healeys was enamel instead of lacquer. I had a 1969 E-Type at one point and it was lacquer but that was a few years after the Austin-Healey was off production.

Jean