[Healeys] Did iridescent colours originally have clear coat over them?

Andy Thorp bce257 at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jan 31 03:18:02 MST 2015

Hi Guys,

Well I'm getting close to the final painting of 40559 and have decided I don't like the modern basecoat/clearcoat look and now want to refinish it in lacquer for a more original non-sparkly appearance.

Does anyone know if the original Healey Blue cars were top-coated in clear lacquer over the "iridescent"? What about on the frame and inner panels?

Is there a recommended source for original formula paints in these modern two pack times?

Andy.