[Healeys] Rear axle gasket question - test results

Steve Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Wed Jan 28 17:27:47 MST 2015

I measured my rear hub clearance today at .004" between the bearing spacer
and the face of the bearing carrier - sans paper gasket and o-ring.

Therefore I made a gasket out of .005" envelope paper and installed it with
a light partial coat of hylomar.

See: http://www.pbase.com/image/158968947 and the succeeding image.

My new Moss gasket had compressed from .014" to .010" - leaving the bearing
spacer loose by .006".

Gary Hodson wrote:

.The shop manual states: "the bearing spacer must protrude between 0.001"
and 0.004" beyond the face of the hub & paper gasket. This is to make sure
the bearing is firmly gripped between the abutment shoulder in the hub and
paper washer."
That means that the gasket thickness depends upon the spacer thickness,
which is why the gasket would be considered a shim. For example: If the shim
protrudes by 0.010" without the gasket you will need a gasket that is
between .006" and .009" thick. I do not believe we are really compressing
the gasket. The axle is held in place by the two small Phillips head screws.
We may be bending the axle flange very slightly to take up the .001"-.004"
gap when we tighten the lug nuts that hold the splined hub extension onto
the hub.
<<<

--

Steve Gerow