[Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 16:52:56 MST 2015

Steve,
Correct, the O-ring does the actual sealing.
The shop manual states: "the bearing spacer must protrude between 0.001" and 0.004" beyond the face of the hub & paper gasket. This is to make sure the bearing is firmly gripped between the abutment shoulder in the hub and paper washer."
That means that the gasket thickness depends upon the spacer thickness, which is why the gasket would be considered a shim. For example: If the shim protrudes by 0.010" without the gasket you will need a gasket that is between .006" and .009" thick. I do not believe we are really compressing the gasket. The axle is held in place by the two small Phillips head screws.  We may be bending the axle flange very slightly to take up the .001"-.004" gap when we tighten the lug nuts that hold the splined hub extension onto the hub.
Gary