[Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jan 24 21:58:51 MST 2015

Hi Steve,

I don't think you need to make that particular gasket more pliable. It's sandwiched between two machined, flat surfaces that would probably contain 99% of oil without a gasket (plus, you have an O-ring for good measure).

Next to oil and tires, the question of when and what to use to seal gaskets or surfaces probably generates the most discussions and opinions. I'm curious about it myself--having been a chemistry major at one time--and have, well, experimented a lot. For paper gaskets, I swear by Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket (the gooey brown stuff). It sets up to a non-sticky glaze-like surface that makes gaskets easy to remove, as well as adding the 1% of necessary sealing. I've used it on water pump gaskets and the old gaskets peel off completely intact; leaving chunks of the old gasket on a surface is a surefire way to create a leak, and scraping can damage a smooth surface.

Almost always, using just the paper gasket on a smooth surface is sufficient, but I usually smear a really thin coat of the Form-A-Gasket because, well, just because (if nothing else it makes later removal easier). If a gasket isn't available I use a silicone like 'Right Stuff;' newer cars use this instead of oil pan and differential cover gaskets. Hylomar is often recommended, but I think it's as much tradition as anything and there's at least two types, and I'm never sure which is the one you're supposed to use (IIRC, Roger Moment did a write-up for it once).

Bob