[Healeys] Ring gear not fully seated in flywheel

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 19:48:32 MST 2015

Michael -

The ring gear is a pretty simple device with a very low loading and very
little use... with several hundred teeth and only a half second of use,
typically, the chance the ring gear failing due to improper heat treatment
is very low.

The synchro rings, however, are very different.  Not only are they
subjected to constant and repeated stress, the brass itself is a soft metal
that is put in the position of having to function through significant
amounts of friction.  In this regard heat treatment is critical.

Cheers,

Alan