[Healeys] Ring gear not fully seated in flywheel

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 08:23:11 MST 2015

Kees,
I think, at least in Australia, 250 degrees Celcius "is" the definition of "heating the shit out of" the ring gear. That's close to the highest temperature in my wife's kitchen oven.
Have you ever seen a ring gear with shit on it at over 250 degrees Celcius when all you have is an oxy torch and your wife is at home???
If there is no shit on it - clearly - you've heated the shit out of it.
I'll defer to the more scientific men out there, I'm just sayin you heat the shit out of the ring gear.
No shit. Your choice. Oven or oxy?
Maybe, I should have just said if it's red hot, then then it's ok.
Oh. And that's hotter than when you boil a wheel bearing for like a 1975 Corolla rear axle. Never boil diff oil in your mothers best saucepan at a temperature even close to boiling the shit out of it. Because you can, but you don't want to.
I tried that when I was 19. The smell  was still there. In the kitchen. And the rest of the house. And mum threw away that saucepan.
Smelt like shit.
I'm 4 months into my 2nd marriage Kees. And I just bought my wonderful new wife a new stove.
So for at least now, I'll use the oxy. You do 250 degrees Celcius. I'll do "heat the shit out with an oxy."
Either way, don't ever boil gear oil.
That's heating the shit out of it.
And that smell has to go somewhere....

;-)