[Healeys] Torque Wrench and Head Studs

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:57:03 MST 2015

I purchased the $70 torque from Sears about 14 months ago.  It was the
click adjust type which adjusted the settings with a twist of the handle.
I used it many times and the wrench was really terrific.  The wrench was
always stored in the original plastic box and hung from a hook on my peg
board wall.  A month or so ago, I was working on the Healey and tried to
adjust the settings by twisting the handle.  The handle just turned and
turned without changing the setting.  I went back to Sears expecting an
exchange because the wrench was a Craftsman with a lifetime guarantee.
This item does not have the usual lifetime guarantee (not stated anywhere)
and Sears would not replace it.  The wrench has been reduced to $39 and the
store which is out of them tells me they will not be getting them in
stock.  They are now a clearance item company wide.

I looked at the item on the Sears site and there were several comments by
buyers who had the same experience as me.  I would not buy a torque wrench
from Sears.  My 1/2" drive and the 3/8" drive appear to be of identical
construction so don't bother with the smaller one either.

For the moment, I have gone back to using my beam type wrench.

Disappointed in Sears and what appears to be a change in their "Lifetime
Guarantee" on Craftsman tools.

Fred
63 BJ7