[Healeys] Right rings and pistons?

Rafael Abugattas rafaelabugattas at yahoo.es
Thu Jan 8 18:43:41 MST 2015

Hi all,

I just started a nut and bolt restoration on my 1962 BT7 Tri Carb. Today we
took the engine apart and sent the block and head to the machine shop. On a
first inspection, it seems that the cylinders do not need to be bored, only
polished.

My mechanic is concerned about the pistons and the type of rings it uses.
Enclosed is a picture of one of the pistons and the three set of rings.

I am no expert but according to his explanation: Starting from the right,
the first thick ring on the picture is the compression ring. The middle or
second set includes two additional thin compression rings and what seems
like an heptagon that I understand helps keep the rings open. The third set
includes three lubrication rings.

He mentioned that the middle set of two thin compression rings with the
heptagon is not a very common configuration. He was wondering whether they
could be substituted with one regular compression ring.

He has worked before on a Healey engine and he doesn´t recall pistons with
the grooves on the side like the one on the picture. I guess the groove
design helps with the lubrication and cooling of the pistons. Are these
original pistons? Would you recommend changing them?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Best regards,

Rafael