[Healeys] Starter motor binding BT7

John Spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 21 19:52:16 MST 2015

This was the general electrical question thread.

The pinon gear is binding and not returning to its idle position which
causes it to stay engaged with the flywheel starter gear. When this happens
the engine will not turn over. If I remove the starter to correct the
problem, as the shop manual states, the engine will turn over however, the
pinon gear will bind again after a start or two.

The only thing I can see that might be wrong is the armature shaft seems to
have excessive endplay; I can move it back and forth quite a bit. There is a
steel thrust washer, inside of the motor, between the starter end cap and
the bearing bush that appears much worn.

Has anybody experienced this problem and have they fixed it by replacing the
thrust washer?

John Spaur

'62 BT7