[Healeys] Reunited with Dad's Healey

HealeyRick healeyrik at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 07:44:13 MDT 2015

>From yesterday's Buffalo auction:

A 1962 Austin-Healey is back in the Maraschiello family fold.
The sports car was owned by the Maraschiellos from 1972 to 1989, and then
sold to the late Dr. A. Alexander Drapanas, a local dentist who was also a
vintage car collector.
On Saturday, Frank Maraschiello, a Buffalo public school teacher, fulfilled
a dream to reacquire the car by buying it at an auction of Drapanas’ cars
in Allentown. It was his father’s pride and joy, but he only drove it out
of the garage once.
“I paid more than I thought I would have, to, but it was well worth it,”
said Maraschiello, after outbidding a collector from England. He declined
to reveal the amount.
Maraschiello said he can’t wait to get his father’s sports car on the road,
after restoring it from top to bottom.
“If you’re not a car person, you don’t understand, but that was the most
fun I had with my dad, working on cars together and growing up with him,”
Maraschiello said.
He also plans to wear a driving cap his father wore while sitting behind
the wheel of the Austin-Healey, smoking a cigar.
“There is a certain bond with some cars, and that car has a great karma,
and I know it’s just going to be a great car,” Maraschiello said.
He added: “My father will get his first real ride with me driving it.”
The most expensive sale at the Drapanas auction, as expected, was for a
1947 Delahaye.
It sold for $285,000, one of 53 automobiles and 241 total lots auctioned
Saturday.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...ction-20150822
<http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/son-retrieves-fathers-dream-car-at-drapanas-auction-20150822>