[Healeys] FW: Toe In

J. Armour sebring3000 at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 10 08:03:09 MDT 2015

Subject:  Re: [Healeys] Toe In

That great Australian 'works' Healey driver Paul Hawkins after he drove
Sprites and 3000s at Sebring,LeMans and ther Targa Florio went on to be a
'works Porsche and Ford GT driver. He also drove a F.1 Lotus at Monarco
Anyway when he drove one of the Porsches he thought it handled badly and was
not backward in advising the Porsche factory mechanics. Paul claimed the
wheel alignment was out. Team Porsche said this is impossible as it was set
at the factory and consquently a mere driver should not change it. Hawkins
being a hands-on mechanic ( he did own a BN.2 in Australia ) said crap and
got 4 oil drums and some string and his favourite spanner. On completion of
the re-alignment he then went out and was some seconds faster. Job done.

Moral of the story is 4 corner objects and some string will do it.

For those who have not viewed it take a look at Paul and Timo Makinen at
work in a 'works' 3000   ABL 92B ( ? ) at the Targa. Some sound effects at
the beginning and in car footage.

Joe

Roger--

That is the way I set toe on my race cars.  It may not be as precise as some
of the fancy equipment out there but I think it works within the limitations
of our cars.

Best--Michael Oritt