[Healeys] Toe In

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Sun Aug 9 13:09:31 MDT 2015

I had been fiddling with my steering rods so had to reset the toe in.
All a bit fiddly and wonder if the more experienced Listers have a different/better technique ... ??

This is what I do:
car level and front tire pressure balanced.
installed 2x al 1” square tubing (sq for straightness) about 27/28 in long for 165/15 tyres across the bottom of the wheels; about 6 in from the floor; tried to use bungy cords but in the end made a small retaining bracket that screws behind the spokes; made these 2 bars level; tightened just firm enough to stop movement.
marked the front and rear tire extremity on this bar.
bar cannot be higher as frame gets in the way of a tape measure for rear measurement.
measured front and rear distances at tire extremity to give about 3/32 toe in
I feel that the limitation of this method is that am trying to measure a relatively small distance over about 5 ft and the assumption that the tyre side walls are uniform.
Took at least 5 adjustment and measurements to get close – of course the LH thread always fools me .. !!
Any ideas ?

Wonder how critical this toe in really is ?

rg
67 BJ8