[Healeys] rear springs on BJ8

Robert F. Begani rfbegani at speakeasy.net
Sun Aug 2 18:41:32 MDT 2015

Hi All:

My friend George does drink beer and takes old tractors apart and puts them
back together because he has 10 acres of tropical trees and other plants to
tend. His current project is to rebuild a beam lath made before WW! Because
it is unique and never made again. He is a real keeper.

Back to springs, I can assure everyone my rear springs do not have grease
nipples and the Moss Catalog does not show grease nipples on the catalog
page.  So if one buys springs from Moss do they need to install fittings to
the rear?  My experience  they do.

Another question, who has purchased springs from Moss or any one recently,
and did they have a threaded hole for grease fittings?

The bolt is not frozen and it is an easy task to unscrew the nut,  drive the
bolt out slightly squirt oil or PB blaster in the opening and the bolt end,
tap the bolt back in, screw nut and tighten. Voila no squeaking for another
year. So It needs lubrication. If I decide to just lube the joint, I would
take the bolt out lube with anti-seize compound or something better than
grease. Or, I buy Moss Springs without a grease fitting.

Also by the way, my uncles who built their first car in the 20's from Junk
Yard Parts, advised when lubing, to spray the leaf springs with used motor
oil mixed with a little kerosene to keep them  from rusting and squeaking. I
use PB blaster or other handy spray oil to keep them lubed and maybe lasting
longer because my healey does not leak enough oil to keep the rear of the
car lubricated.

Bob Begani