[Healeys] 1930 BENTLEY

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Fri Apr 10 17:52:01 MDT 2015

That is cool that you got  chance to ride in the SL, funny you should compare them to the Austin Healey. The 300SLs and 100s actually competed against each other in the same class in SCCA racing when they were new and newish, the SL ended the Healey's days as a front runner (at least if there was a Merc or two entered in the race) in their class.  In those days classification was based on displacement, they went to a more performance or potential performance based formula shortly after that.

If you look at SCCA race results by class you will see a lot of 100s (often simply identified as "Austin Healey" as it was the only one in those days) and 300SLs in D production.  Not really a fair fight, the SL sold for more than twice as much as the Healey.

 http://www.ferrariexperts.com/SCCA%20results%201956.htm#TOR

Greg Lemon