[Healeys] mallory dual point distributors

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Sep 23 02:55:55 MDT 2014

The problem with points in general is that the pad on the cam follower
is made of some kind of plastic these days which wears relatively fast.
Originally this was a fiber matarial that could hold some lubricant
(apply a dab of grease on the pad) and lasted much longer, one could
file the points several times before the pad showed any signs of wear.
If you were very meticulous you soaked the pad in oil for a while and
applied a dab of grease on the cam before fitting.
The felt pad you noticed was a good idea to keep the cam follower
lubricated, but you have to put a drop of oil on it (and the top felt
pad on the shaft and the bearings of the advance weights) once in a
while. Most people forget or ignore this and then complain about a worn
distributor. If maintained properly they hardly wear.
Forget about an original distributor and fit an electronic distributor
for reliability instead, Petronix, 1-2-3-ignition with several fixed
advance curves or the latest one with a pc programmable advance curve,
perhaps even the extremely cheap Stealth with fixed advance curve or the
slightly dearer option also with programmable advance curve.
One thing not to forget though is to lubricate these as well. Although
the manufacturers claim it is fit and forget, it ain't.
The dual point Mallory is unnecessarily complicated to set up and
maintain, the original set up can be troublesome and for both you simply
cannot get the proper points any more unless you find NOS.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL