[Healeys] mallory dual point distributors

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 22 16:00:26 MDT 2014

Listers,

A friend has an 100 LeMans with a Mallory dual point dizzy (I don't have
the model #).  Had some issues with it recently; condenser failed and
the gaps don't look right.  Not knowing what other issues there might
be, I sent Jeff Schlemmer at Advance Distributors an email to see if he
refurbishes them.  I was a bit surprised at his reply:

"A typical Mallory rebuild runs $200-250 plus tune-up parts and will
only hold its advance curve for about 1 driving season.  You're better
off investing in an original distributor for a lower cost rebuild and a
longer lasting product."

I was a bit surprised to see that on this dizzy, there is a felt pad
between the cam and each follower.  Would think that the relatively
"soft" felt might affect the gap over time.

Thoughts?  Experiences?

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar