[Healeys] Spark/no spark condition

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 9 16:23:08 MDT 2014

Fred:

The original set up had the white / black wire from the battery master
switch to the coil, and then a short jumper to the distributor.  It's
purpose as Bob said was to ground the ignition with the battery master
switch in the off position so that the engine could not continue to run on
the generator.  (Thanks to the late Norman Nock for explaining that to me).
If you have a white / black wire still connected to the coil, it will
continue to perform that function with the Pertronix ignition.  In this
case, if the hanging wire is not insulated, it can ground the ignition if it
touches any metal surface.  It's more likely that the distributor jumper is
gone, so there would be no effect from the hanging wire - ignore it.

First thing I would do is replace the rotor.  If no luck, the coil is
suspect.  Pertronix is likely all the way on or all the way off, like most
electronic things they don't seem to fail intermittently, but you never
know.  It's also possible that the cap is bad - maybe in the area of the
centre electrode - they can look good and still give trouble.

Let us know what happens

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb