[Healeys] pointless points

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Mon Oct 27 01:13:24 MDT 2014

Hi Guys, I enjoyed the discussion about dwell and the history with
Lucas, I believe points are in fact history and the best small
modification that can be made to any car with points is to replace them
with a breaker-less system. There are a few options out there and some
can be fitted to an original distributor. Keep in mind that any change
in points gap alters your ignition timing, so from the time you fit new
points your on a down hill slope in engine tuning as the rubbing block
wears or the points arc effectively changing the gap. With a
breaker-less system it becomes almost set and forget, no side load on
the distributor cam will also reduce wear. The systems available with a
slip on to the distributor trigger and a sensor that replaces the points
base plate mean you can keep your points should it ever fail, and you
can still use your original coil. Some modern technology is worth
adopting for the sake of efficient engine operation, in my opinion this
is one of them.
Cheers
Larry Varley