[Healeys] Rear shocks, rebuilds or telescopic conversion

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 26 12:46:42 MDT 2014

Simon:

I agree with John re: World Wide for rebuilding the original shocks - many
people on this side of the pond have had great success with them.  I have to
think that there would be someone competent in the UK at rebuilding these
shocks.  There is nothing wrong with the original lever arm shocks on these
cars if they are in good condition (along with the rest of the chassis
suspension components.)

Having said that, there is another option using specifically designed
Bilstein shocks for the big Healey:

http://www.putzkes-fahrspass.com/eng/kits.html

Udo is a long time big Healey owner and has a background as a suspension
engineer - his kit is well designed.  I installed one (both front and rear)
on my recently completed BJ8 (phase II) and am quite pleased with the ride
quality of the car.  I know several Healey owners that have installed these
Bilstein kits in big Healey's over the years - everyone that I know of that
has done so has been pleased with car afterwards.  I believe that it would
be worth your while to investigate this conversion kit.

I'm not sure of the advisability of doing only the rear - someone more
qualified than I would have to comment on that.  You don't want to risk the
potential of unsafe handling!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb