[Healeys] Adding a starter relay question

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:56:09 MDT 2014

FWIW lots of modern cars have starter relays between the ignition switch
and the solenoid, so the idea of adding one to an old car is not that
outrageous.
If you do add one, it would go between the starter button and the solenoid.

A quick Google seems to show that a start solenoid draws in the
neighborhood of 8-10A with the pull in windings, and less with the hold in
windings.
I can tell you a starter relay on a modern car is designed for
substantially more current that your average relay.
compare the terminals on this relay
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/idi/250658_primary.jpg The
small terminal on the left is the same as your average relay, fits a
standard spade terminal, look at the high current terminal on the right, it
is over twice as wide, designed for much higher current.
If you need to know how to wire it feel free to drop me a line.
Rick