[Healeys] AF meter SU tuning

Bill wkollar at nycap.rr.com
Thu Oct 16 05:48:30 MDT 2014

Somewhere on a planet deep in the galaxy a long, long time ago, mid 1960's,
still in high school and having relatively good hearing, I was the proud
owner of a very tired 9 year old 1954, 100-4.  I spent a lot of time
tinkering with my baby.  One of the fun things things to do was adjusting
the SU's.  Having little to no extra spending money in those days, I always
made use of the tube and listen method to do the carb adjustments.  I'm sure
by todays standards with O2 sensors,  meters and the like this method and
the results would be considered to be crude at best.  However the car always
ran up to my expectations and I had some great times driving it.  Since then
I've had more than a few vehicles to drive and some have even been equipped
with the latest in fuel economy visual driving gauges or aids, more than
likely just a plain old o;?vacuum gauges, including my 2014 RAM.  I have,
after much thought decided that they are all rubbish and not worth the
bother.

Short story, tune it good enough to pass any inspection requirements and run
down the road and enjoy it.

Mine sits in the barn in a sorry state of disassembly.  To be enjoyed by
memory only.  I had many plans for it but they never came to fruition.  Oh!
but, back in the day,  long rides in the country,  prom dates,  weddings,
rides to the race track and just trips to get an ice cream cone or burger.
What Fun!