[Healeys] Aluminum Radiator

Steven Kingsbury airtightproductions at icloud.com
Wed Oct 15 10:55:02 MDT 2014

Bob,
I am using a multi-blade fan that I got from David Nock. It works really well
and I am also going to be changing the thermostat very soon as I haven't done
that as of yet and I will see how that affects the whole situation. My car has
run hot from when I got it almost ten years ago now and I kept to original
radiator just in case some day I might make the car more than a driver. But
she's just too much fun to drive not to give her the best chance of staying
cool and going down the road.
Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598

On Oct 14, 2014, at 08:15 AM, Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> wrote:

> Cool :)   FWIW, that's pretty much how my BJ8 behaves with a stock radiator
and Texas Cooler fan.  Are you running a stock BN1 fan?

> On a side note, does anyone know why our cars routinely run under the
thermostat set point?  For example, I have a 180degF thermostat in my BJ8, and
on not-hot days on the freeway it may run around 160degF.  Under warmer
conditions with more of a load it'll hold 180 until stuck in traffic, etc.
then goes up 10-20 degrees.  The thermostat should stay closed until reaching
the set point--e.g. 180--then open and maintain that temperature until the the
radiator can no longer, well, radiate all the heat produced by the engine.  Is
it possible our engines are being air-cooled enough to stay under the
thermostat set point under benign temp and load conditions?