[Healeys] Aluminum Radiator

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Oct 15 08:34:12 MDT 2014

My gauge was recently refurbished and calibrated by West Valley Instruments (the former 'Mo' in MoMa), so I'm reasonably
confident it's accurate.   My temp will stay below the thermostat set point (180degF) on a cool day.  Coasting down a
hill, it often gets below 160.  Driving along steady on a mild day it will stay at 180 (expected), then exceed that on a
hot day pulling a load or sitting in traffic.  My heater is usually off--but the valve on the block is open
year-round--and I've used it as an 'auxiliary radiator' when it gets close to 212deg.

So, assuming the gauge is correct, why is my temp often below 180 (Kees?).  The only explanation I can think of is that
the engine is sufficiently air-cooled in benign conditions to keep the thermostat closed.  I've tried several
thermostats with same result, and have tested a couple on the stove in hot water. Apparently, others are experiencing
the same phenomenon.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net