[Healeys] exhaust popping

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Oct 10 07:10:45 MDT 2014

AFAIK, the 'popping' can only be one thing: small explosions in the exhaust system.  There can only be an explosion if
there are three things: a combustible substance, an ignition source and oxygen (actual explosives provide their own
oxygen, usually from oxides of nitrogen).

So, it follows there must be unburned fuel in the exhaust (duh), some oxygen--from air, this is why exhaust leaks
contribute--and an ignition source (heat or hot spots in the system).  I suspect--don't know for a fact--the unburned
fuel comes from the high vacuum in the intake system with closed throttles, which draws fuel from the jets even with the
pistons down and the needles all but closing off the 'annular ring' between the needle and the jet opening.

At times, my BJ8 has not popped on decel/downhill/etc. with different exhaust systems.  Don't know why, I've kept pretty
much the jet/mixture setting as long as I've had the car (31 years). Currently, I'm using an exhaust cobbled together
from Ansa pipes with Heartthrob mufflers (from good ol' JC Whitney; I call it 'Frankenmuffler').  It pops a lot,
including some pretty loud bangs with closed throttles going downhill.  I put an 'H' pipe between the pipes fore the
front mufflers; suspect that contributes but danged if I know why.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net