[Healeys] Pickling Cast Iron

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 04:37:29 MST 2014

Hi Patrick,

My first thought was a 'hot tank' like some engine shops use to clean blocks.  It's a big tank filled with a hot,
alkaline solution (I believe made with NaOH, aka lye).  I did some googling to confirm and came across this:
http://www.enginerepairshop.com/cleaning-engine-parts.html

I don't know if hydrogen embrittlement affects cast iron, but I'd avoid anything acidic anyway.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net