[Healeys] stuck in overdrive

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat May 31 13:37:45 MDT 2014

Gary, I had a problem with my BJ8 overdrive sticking a few years ago,
apparently caused by using  the Walmart cheap Accel brand 30W non-detergent
oil.  I discovered the problem while trying to push the car backwards out of
the garage.  After several tries, thinking the brakes might be stuck, there
was a "bang" and the overdrive released.  When it happened again a couple
months later, I just made sure I parked where I didn't have to back up until
I had a chance to change the oil.  I do not know which part in the overdrive
was "stuck", but just changing the oil solved the sticking problem.
That experience may or may not help your friend, but I provide it for what
it's worth.  Otherwise, I don't know how to get it to release.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
AHCA Delegate at Large