[Healeys] Coolants, anti-corrosion agents, and antifreeze

editorgary at aol.com editorgary at aol.com
Fri May 16 12:53:43 MDT 2014

 I'm totally down (as younger folks are reputed to say) with those who argue
against anecdotes and support the scientific method. However, scientific
conclusions can be reached not only with a controlled double-blind
experimental .... etc. approach, but can be derived with a sufficient number
of observations about behavior in the real world.

To wit: Most of the motoring world, for most of recent motoring history, has
adhered to an approach to engine coolant that mixes an antifreeze with
anticorrosion additives 50-50 with tap water. A very, very high percentage of
those individuals have had continuing acceptable results. Conclusion: that's a
sound approach to engine cooling, though not necessarily the only one. Now we
have people who argue that distilled water is superior to standard potable
water, but results are mixed. We have people who use Water Wetter in
conjunction with various kinds of water, with various kinds of results. What
that indicates to me is that if I depart from the traditional practice, I
should do it with care, and monitor the results.

My own conclusions are in a regular car in regular use in a climate that may
experience temperature ranges from below 0 to over 100 C, a 50-50 mix of
modern nonpoisonous-to-pets antifreeze with tap or filtered water is the right
answer.

Antifreeze is not necessary in temperate climates and is forbidden for tracked
race cars. If antifreeze is not used, then an anticorrosion agent is
absolutely mandatory, and Water Wetter does a good job there, since it also
introduces a higher temperature range before the coolant boils.

If a car hasn't been driven in awhile, then it is a good idea to flush the
radiator and engine with an engine flush agent, to remove corrosion. Water
Wetter is an anticorrosion agent, so it will act as a radiator flushing agent,
even if you didn't expect it to, so if you add water (of any sort) with water
wetter to a radiator in a car that hasn't been driven for awhile, you should
flush the radiator and then refill it.

Distilling water is the only way to remove all traces of anything except pure
H20, so it might very well be expected to act differently from potable water
(which is filtered) or potable water that has been filtered to remove
particulates, and contaminants above the molecular level. Consequently, since
it's more difficult to find that potable water, or house-filtered potable
water, there's no real good reason to experiment with its use.

That's what I believe.

Gary Anderson
Editor-in-Chief, The Star Magazine
Mercedes-Benz Club of America