[Healeys] Healey with a Toyota five speed

tom mitchell 3000mk3 at bighealey.org
Wed May 14 17:20:39 MDT 2014

I pulled the transmission (Bummer because I have no Healey to drive for Spring
Thing :=( tomorrow.)

The friction plate blooksb OK, yet Ibm not 100% sure of what Ibm
looking at.

The groves are still there and itbs not worn down to the rivets.

The clutch fluid coming out looked like graphite.

The ring/impression/imprint on the pressure plate from the throw out bearing
suggests that the alignment for the last ten years has been slightly off,
maybe 1/31b. (I just learned about dowel bolts, that I donbt have any and
there is more to it than just having them)

It also appears that the pressure plate and input shaft got pretty hot (they
are a dark brown copper color)

The pilot bearing adapter fell out and it looks as if the whole assembly has
been spinning. The aluminum part is in a much worn condition and will need to
be replaced.

At this point Ibll replace the throw out bearing, fiction plate, pressure
plate, master/slave clutch cylinders, pilot bearing adapters, hoses etc.

Hi I called Pete D. today and left a message about obtaining a pilot bearing
adapters and if the new friction plate is the heavy duty one.

Ibm still learning about engine to transmission indexingb&humm

Tom Mitchell

1965 Austin Healey BJ8 MKIII

"Ability is what you are capable of doing.  Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it." - Lou Holtz

Doing it and doing it right, is up to you!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John
Lennon