[Healeys] Clean out cooling water passages

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon May 5 07:17:06 MDT 2014

There are plenty of radiator cleaners about at your local car accessory
shop. Most are based on caustic soda. Fill the complete cooling system
with clean demineralised water, ad the contents of the can of radiator
cleaner, e.g. Holts, drive it for a good bit, min. 1 hr. or let it idle
for a few hours or so, keeping an eye on the temp. gauge and drain the
cooling sytem, remove the thermostat, open up/remove all petcocks
(radiator, engine block if applicable) top and bottom hoses of the
radiator and flush back radiator and engine separately using a powerful
water supply (no high pressure washer) until the water that comes out is
absolutely clear. Drain all the water from engine and radiator.
Refit pet-cocks, hoses and thermostat and fill up the system with a
proper coolant, the green organic stuff (that is in Europe, could be a
different color in the US), slightly toxic. Modern anorganic coolant
(red/purple in Europe) may be harmful to older engines (gaskets, seals)
and silicon hoses, seals, gaskets, slightly less toxic.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL