[Healeys] Front Engine Seal

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Thu May 1 06:30:16 MDT 2014

I've done it on my BJ8, and I do not remember having any issues with the linkage or exhaust.  IIRC, the lift is not very high to clear the crossmember.  But again it has been a long time since I did that also.

tom

---- richard mayor <mayorrichard at hotmail.com> wrote:

=============
It's a lot more complcated then just removing the radiator. You have to undo
the motor mounts so you can raise the engine enough so you can get a socket
onto the crankshaft nut.  It's been awhile since I've done this, but there are
issues with the carburetor linkage and exhaust when you jack up the engine. We
racers make a section of the cross member between the shock towers removable
so we never have to jack up the engine to get to the crank nut.

Richard

> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 18:42:42 -0700
> From: bspidell at comcast.net
> To: healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Front Engine Seal
>
> Listers,
>
> Looks like my front seal on my BJ8 is starting to leak a bit more than I'd
like.  I'm getting ready to take a long road
> trip and wondering if I should bite the bullet and replace it or hope for
the best and just carry plenty of oil.  Do
> these gradually get worse, or do they let go all of a sudden?  Can I throw a
can of sealer in there, or are they totally
> bogus?
>
> Any gotchas replacing it?  Obviously the radiator has to come out, and I
know the pulley on the crank can be a bear.
> Anyone done this without a whole lot of issues?
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob
>
> --
> Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net