[Healeys] Why carry spares

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Mar 19 02:40:25 MDT 2014

Fitting /and/ operating fuel pumps in series will double the fuel
pressure, so you may have to regulate the pressure near the carbs.
Fitting them parallel will not effect the fuel pressure.
Fitting fuel pumps in series that can be operated alternatively (one at
the time) will not present extra fuel pressure, but if one is getting
clogged up both pumps will fail to deliver, whilst fitting them parallel
you would still have one functioning.
In both ways of fitting, use a separate switch for each pump
Fitting an extra fuel filter in the line between tank and pump may cause
suction problems because of increased resistance. Always fit a fuel
filter in the pressure line.
In general crud sucked from the tank will not damage or affect the pump.
In very extreme cases the course gauze filter may get blocked.
If you have severe problems with dirt in the fuel fit two or more fuel
filters in parallel to increase capacity.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL