[Healeys] Interior Fits

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:14:49 MDT 2014

Jamie,

I installed Heritage carpeting in my bj8 and I can help you if you like.  Ask
away and I'll answer with words and pictures where needed.

 First of all I did not use the jute but a closed cell foam silver sided hot
rod insulation that works very well at heat reduction.  Place the insulation
down, mark where your snaps screw into the floor and relieve around them so
your carpet may be snapped down, then glue the insulation down.  Snap the
carpet down on the floors and glue the carpet on all vertical surfaces and
around the rear wheel arches.

Do not bind the edges, they were not bound originally in the bj8.  Use 3M
contact cement, not the gel type but the yellow stuff that is pretty thick and
stringy, it's in about a 4" diameter can.  You paint it on with a cheap throw
away 1" or 2" brush and wait the directed time before placing the two surfaces
together.

The carpet snaps to the tranny cover, no glue there.  Glue carpet to the sides
and face of the trans opening box.  The edges of the glued on carpet pieces
and the tranny cover pieces extend an inch or two onto the floors under the
floor pieces so that the snapped down floor pieces have a nice tight finished
look.  You have to cut a little and fit until you achieve a nice fit without
cutting the floor pieces too narrow.  The same goes for the side pieces on the
sills, the rear heel board pieces, and the trailing arm boxes in the back.

If you have trouble telling which piece goes where just email me  photos and
I'll tell you where they go.  You can see photos a John Sims' site also:
http://www.healey6.com/index.htm

Take your time and you can do this in a few nights.

Take care,

George Haywood
'65 bj8